Saturday, January 06, 2007

Difference

Do you know what is the difference between good comedy and just comedy? Canned laughter...

Do you know what is the difference between canned laughter and "live" laughter? Two points:

  • First, canned laughter is same every time, which gets irritating after first few times. I mean, I don't think any person can laugh the same time after time after time.

  • And, most important point is, canned laughter sounds like you are pointing out to people watching that you want them to laugh at that point. It reminds me of the guy we know who could not tell a joke even if there was a loaded gun pointed at his head (I think he is still the same). We used to tell him to raise his hand after he finished telling the joke, so that we could laugh. I mean, I like to laugh at points I find funny, not when somebody does his "pop the can, hahaha" routine.



  • So, in summary, that's the difference between "Naya Office Office" and " Sports Night". And if I am sounding cranky, I have been working in a overheated library with outside temperature near 20C, while we were expecting a nice, cool thunderstorm today. Nothing bugs you like not having to take a forced break from work.

    Anyways, "Sports Night" is great... Unfortunately, there are very few videos or promos on YouTube, so go get the episodes. It is a definite precursor to Studio 60, I am going to get after Aaron Sorkin's filmography (or televisionography, or whatever it is called).

    4 comments:

    Cuckoo said...

    Hmmmm...

    I should not even try to laugh here. Who knows what kind of laugh it would be :P ;)

    SiD said...

    well.. once in an interview, a director was telling, that this canned laughter is something like background music in a movie.. it helps you get the 'feel' of it...

    though I also don't agree with him...

    Honestly saying, it looks Cheap!!

    and the heat - tell u, in office we have to put on fans - when the outside temp is.. guess what - ok.. see my blog!! ;)

    Amey said...

    @Cuckoo: You can produce "tinned" laugh? :o

    @Sid: Yes, if the comedy is not good, it sounds like the jokes are not laughworthy on their own.

    Why do they overheat buildings? I felt like working with my shirt off.

    Amey said...

    @Nikichan: Yes, and not just me (for a change). Many other people were saying the same thing.