Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Memory Revamp?

Normally, I find myself associating various incidences/people with songs or sometimes entire movies. Like RHTDM is associated with the trip our class had in our BE, because the movie was too famous right then (people actually bought the figurines on the trip which were like the figurine in the movie I remember).

Similarly, DCH is connected with memories of all of the Knights of The Round Table, sitting and watching the movie on my friend's PC. I can still remember exactly where everybody was sitting/sleeping, and what jokes we passed around as we had the dialogs by heart, having watched that movie about 1000 times before.

Each time I hear the song from either of these movies, I am reminded of these incidences...

Today I was listening to a song on my iPod, and suddenly my mind created the whole picture of the road we used to take to get back to our rooms from the office in Hyderabad, during our training. I can still see the whole picture even now, after about 3-4 hours.

But, the movie the song belonged to was released at least an year before I went for training, there wasn't any particular incident which I would associate with the song (the song being a sad romantic one did not help matter either).

So, what cross connection took place? Or my mind is undergoing a revamp, and so just threw on a random scene it found in front of my eyes? I am still trying to understand...

11 comments:

SiD said...

may be while moving on that road in Hyderabad... sitting in the 7 seater.. looking out to the huge glass buildings of hitech city, u used to remember some1 - with that song being played somewhere in the background of ur mind.... hahahaha
happens..
i wrote a blog on music some time back..
in that i ve written a similar thing..
some songs specifically remind you of a person whenever u listen to them...may be some kind of Hashmap being made by the brain

Keshi said...

It's called memory by association. There's a part in ur brain that stores certain memories for even years. Though it appears to u that this song is not asscoiated with anything during ur training session, its possible that some minute incident during that period really have some cerebral association with this song. U might not know, but ur brain does.


Keshi.

Amey said...

@Sid: 7 seater? More like 3 seater sitting 7...
Anyways, since yesterday, I have walked over the road at least 100 times. That song should have thrown HashMapNotFoundException, which should have been caught by my brain and null returned.

@Keshi: This was memory by dis-association. The memory was so sharp that I had to stop working for 2 minutes... and luckiliy I did not have any classes yesterday, or I would have started mouthing biology in marketing class...
The only connection I found with the song is with a friend, who has not connection with hyd or my training. I have a weird sense of missing something now :(

Amey said...

@Nikichan: Yes, we often associate things with certain memories... And in many cases, there is a connection

Keshi said...

**This was memory by dis-association

I reckon this is something that u will see as dis-associated but ur brain knows it...u know, it's hidden to ya.


Keshi.

Cuckoo said...

Yeah, it happens with me as well.. many times.
Keshi is right, it's memory by association and at that moment it disassociates us from rest of the world. :))

Amey said...

@Keshi: I wish my brain didn't keep secrets form me. It's my memories you know...

@Cuckoo: I know, I won't be able to listen to "Just chill, chill..." song without laughing like crazy now.

Keshi said...

:) Cuckoo I feel so disassociated with my brain right now LOL!

Fleiger our brains can be a repository of secrets that we will never know.

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Keshi: Not fair... It's my brain after all, occpying a prime space of real estate in my body. ;)

Cuckoo said...

I won't be able to listen to "Just chill, chill..." song without laughing like crazy now. Oh Fleiger, thand rakh yaar
Ooops, I mean Chill Dude :P

Amey said...

Just chill chill, just chill... thanda matlab... hahaha...