Sunday, September 24, 2006

Bracketed In Boredom

I love Orkut. I mean, ask my friends... I am normally online there, padik is the term my marathi-speaking friend(s?) will use. And let's face it, my contact with 90% people I know and am in contact with is due to Orkut (out of remaining, 5% is blogging).

Anyways, praising Orkut is not the point of this post. The point of this post is, as much as I love Orkut, there are some things I hate like anything there.

e.g. If I get the donut every time the server is refused one, I would have by now changed the orbit of earth single-handedly. And that's saying something, as unlike some of my friends, I cannot even change the direction in which a Luna is going.

Also, I need not mention the new type of spam there, "Join this community, join that community" etc. etc. Like all forwards, I forward requests to join a community only if I find it worthwhile and/or funny (to date, only "Sorry Shaktimaan" community holds the honour for obvious reasons).

And when I am looking for just fun on the communities there, I get drawn into crazy topics, (which provide fuel for posts like this and this). But today, after watching "The Colbert Report" (more about it later) for about 2-3 hours, spoiling for a debate (read fight), I go to check the communities, and I find... nothing. Nada, nĂ¼ll, zip...

First I visited the community of my... err, community (the religious community/ caste I belong to would be better choice of words here I guess). It is normally useful for 1-2 good topics (not counting those where you are supposed to chose a rose for person above you) where you can really get your gloves out of the cupboard. But today, I find just one topic being debated ("Kissing in Public"), where the second post by the person who started the topic, mentioned that "It's a personal choice" and third one said, "[but]we should reach a common verdict, 100% yes or 100% no". And I am not in a mood to get into a non-debate just now...

And if anybody is keeping a score, I am sure about 50% of this post is in brackets [just goes to show how bored I am to count this statistics (that's 1, rather 2 more brackets now)]

14 comments:

Keshi said...

Fleiger I have only chatted in IT chat and I hated it after few months LOL!

So while I dun even know what Orkut is like, I wont join it (or any other e-community for that matter) cos I just dun like chatting. btw I dun even have the time to blog these days :(

Keshi.

Cuckoo said...

OMG, how many posts have you written?
In each post of urs there are many ( sub routines /call programs)posts.

Wil have to really take a big break to read all ur posts. :))
Good going.

Good that I haven't even heard of Orkut ;)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

I am hardly on Orkut these days ..... getting pretty lethargic with all that !

HAfta read all those posts you mentioned

Amey said...

@All: Actually, I love Orkut. Lat time I lookd, I was on the verge of compulsive-obsessive...
And I am one of the biggest advocates of Orkut. As I said, otherwise I will just live within myself, with no virtually no contact with my friends... So, try it if you want (can send you invites, its invitation only I guess). You can always delete your profiles if you want...

For this post, it was just "what does a person has to do to get a good fight around here?" kind of boredom...

Amey said...

@Keshi: It's not chatting. You can send messages and all, whenever you want. It's kind of online friend database, at least that's what I treat Orkut like...

@Cuckoo: My current count is somewhere around 70-odd including both blogs (and one more which is in permnant hybernation now). Anyways, try Orkut, actually it's not as bad as I make it sound.

@Deepa: I know, added you on Orkut ages ago, no response till now ;)

SiD said...

Orkut!!!! i have memories now...
there was a time when
- orkut was opened before Outlook
- scrap book was open like outlook - Always!!

- chats used to be held on scrapbook instead of IM..
- fotos were clicked specially with orkut in mind.

- there were comptt "who will have more fans" (I have 50 fans presently!!)

then it was banned in company... then one day my ol' computer at home broke down.. cudnt log in for some days... stopped missing orkut..and now havent logged in since a month...

It is the best for keeping in touch with people...no doubt about it...
and its a phenomenon... I have no doubt abt that too..

Keshi said...

oh ok. well lets see if I ever get time for Orkut.

Keshi.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

too lazy ! plus my IE always crashes when i log onto orkut

Cuckoo said...

Hmm.. these two guys have so much to say abt Orkut..

Looks like a debate going on - for & against Orkut between girls team and boys team :P

Lage Raho..

Amey said...

@Sid: I would start getting withdrawal symptoms if my net goes down for a day... and 50 fans? Great man... I am nowhere near that figure.

@Keshi: Do check it out. Ask me anytime if you want invite...

@Deepa: My question here would be, Why do you use IE? Firefox is much better. Anyways, I am not talking about Orkut specifically, that might be a different problem.

@Cuckoo: Chilled right? No debate here, just a healthy discussion. Only deepa and nikichan use orkut amongst girls, and only me (actively) amonst boys. Not enough for a debate, won't you say? ;)

Anonymous said...

i dont use orkut too much... somewhat dont like the idea at all... it probably got percolated due to not liking of ryze either... and scrapping is just not fun... blogging and blog hopping is dhammal i say

Amey said...

@Iyer Edu: Welcome...
Blog hopping is much fun, helps you make new friends. But not all of my friends (in fact, none of my school friends) blog :( That's one of my usual rants when I meet them...
As sid said, scrapping used to be IM'ing... it still is sometimes.

SiD said...

@cuckoo: i dont think there is a need for debate..
Orkut IS indeed a phenomenon..
seriously... i met some friends whom i had seen around 10 - 15 years ago...
infact i met 1 friend on a trip to hyd.. and it was great...
and its not only for this..
one of my friend met his 'to-be' wife(hopefully) there..
apart from that i have also seen it being used for business networking..

Amey said...

@Sid: Spot on... I too met some friends with whom I had lost contact for more than 10-15 years.
And give your friend my congratulations...
And why do such things only happen to other people? ;)