Friday, February 23, 2007

Blacklisted Part II

Now let me clear one thing once and for all: I loved the movie "Lage Raho Munnabhai". Given the track record of sequels in Bollywood (OK, I didn't say "Dhoom 2", did I?), the movie sets a precedent, which I hope will continue.

Still, I am putting the word "Gandhigiri" on my blacklist, for the sheer misuse the word is being put to. Though there are proper and dignified words like "Gandhian Philosophy" which fit here, I would have made my peace even if the piece used the word "Gandhism". I mean, the fact that the word was used by Munna"bhai" and his gang should signal that it should not be used for reporting the news like this, shouldn't it?

And I do hope something nice comes out of the project...



- For I am The Great Eagle...

P.S. Previous words on Blacklist: Any word which portrays pairs into one word.

2 comments:

SiD said...

I, personally don't think it is not good to use Gandhigiri.
The word "Gandhigiri" is more popular.. has mass appeal.. and may be a person is able to easily connect to the theme of Gandhism more when he listens (or reads) the word Gandhigiri..
That is the point newspaper is trying to use.. after all a news will affect more if it is easily able to connect to people..

Differences of opinion here :)

Amey said...

Well, that word for the whole Gandhian philosophy is like Rapidex English course. You learn to speak, but to get the feeling for the language and really "learn" it, you have to read the books and practise a whole lot. The difference between Munnabhai and Mahatma Gandhi Satyagraha Centenary Celebration Committee is (hopefully) that between a Rapidex learner and a PhD (or at least a MA) in English.

That's why I had hoped that journalists would go beyond just mass appeal when reporting the news about the party which is essentially identified by Gandhi. My first thought on reading the headline was whether they have started another crazy program (like that jaadu ki jhappi in schools).