Wednesday, April 04, 2007

It Had To Happen...

Two controversies. Two results. None unpredictable. One should be celebrated, the other will be.



Know what I am talking about?





  • As all the Chess players and chess followers across the world knew, this had to happen sometime. I mean, given Viswanathan Anand's talent and record (as far as I remember, he is pretty consistent with one or two bad patches), it was more of a question "When" than "Will he".

    And after the Linares controversy is over, what matters is that Anand has achieved top spot in FIDE rankings.

    Now, I know this news will be interesting to only a small percentage of people in India, and more than probably will be drowned out by the other news... But here's to Anand, and may he remain in the position for a long time to come...


  • After the recent World Cup performance, (on which I am not going to comment as per my vow) and all the controversies after that, it was just a question of time when this was going to happen. And I am thinking that probably right now, many people are celebrating that Chappell has resigned from his position.

    No further comments on that matter from my side...


  • And while we are on the subject of Cricket and coaches, I was always under the impression that unlike Basketball or Football (the one played with foot and the one where you hold the ball and run), the role of coach was pretty limited once the team went on the ground to field, and the captain essentially took over.

    I mean, can anybody tell me why the captain should retire or be blamed after a bad team performance, if coaches are virtual masters of the team, as this seems to imply?




Technorati Tags: , ,

9 comments:

SiD said...

Here is a BIG one for Anand!!
and how pathetic of Indian Media, not to highlight this!!
Any ways.. Anand you have done us proud..

and as regards Indian cricket, a somewhat similar vow has prevented me writing a blog on the recent happenings specially Sachin coming out and voicing his thoughts!!
(to be honest I wrote 5 - 6 lines and then left it there - as they say just got it out of my system)

Amey said...

@Sid: Yes, the first Indian Chess no.1... :D

as they say just got it out of my system
Ahem, it is so nice to know that people follow my advise of, "no hate, no regret". I should put these instances in "appreciation/comments" section of my book (or maybe on the back-cover) ;)

Keshi said...

Congrats to Anand!

Well abt Indians' view on cricket...no comments.

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

cool!! chess & cricket are so very british and not seen in my country :)

Amey said...

@Keshi: Indians' views about cricket? It is our unofficial National Game you know...

@Nikichan: Oh yes... Japan has more of US sports like football and baseball, right?

Anonymous said...

so very true!! guys are crazy for baseball :D
how did u know, smart eagle-chan??

Amey said...

@Nikichan: The only "sports" I ever saw in "Takeshi's Castle" were baseball and american football. And then, Japan was a good team in World Cup soccer.

Anonymous said...

ohhh take-chan?! wat a shame..lololol
thank u fleiger-chan!! i was supporting turkey team coz we lost many games. sooo kind of u!!

Amey said...

@Nikichan: Yes, maybe... But qualifying for World Cup is still a big thing.