Saturday, April 14, 2007

Review?

Now let me clear one thing here, Eragon did disappoint me. It left out some major plot points from the book, and changed the story so that hardcore book fans will be disappointed. But then, you need to cut a lot to fit a 768 page long story into a decent-sized film.



But, when you review that film, you are expected to note that the film is based on a book. Of course, the book is a homage to a lot of big stories like Star Wars, LoTR etc.



Now, I am not sure which version of the movie has reached India and I am pretty sure the reviewer has never heard of the book.





This might explain some misleading statements in the review:

  1. When Eragon finds the "egg", everybody assumes it is a stone till it hatches. You cannot make omlette out of a stone can you? (Of course, even the movie mentions it is a stone)


  2. Saphira insisting that Eragon be her "rider" sounds like an overture? Dragons only hatch for their destined "riders", sometimes waiting for centuries. This explains that there are no dragon riders for many years, since the dragons did not want to hatch for anybody under Galbatorix's command. (Again, movie does mention this)


  3. The answers to "pertinent questions" the reviewer asks for are in the book. Of course, the movie almost passes over Eragon's magical training by Brom, and the history is cut for most of the part for fitting the story to the film length, but there are details enough in the movie to give some answers.


  4. The “great inevitable battle” is not the last one. It is just the first large scale battle Eragon and Saphira are part of, and in no way is purported to be the last. (Eldest has an even bigger and important battle at the end). And given Galbatorix's history, it is expected that he does not pit himself against an unknown Rider. (Yes, the battle scenes fail to impress after "Return of The King", but that was a classic)


  5. I was sorry to see Murthagh's story cut. He is one of the most compelling characters in the books. (Kind of like Snape in Harry Potter. He is good, he is bad, he is good...). Ditto for Ajihad, the Varden leader (though he is definitely good).


  6. Galbatorix does not "point to" a sequel. The sequel is already published, and is a phenomenon. The third book of the trilogy is on the way.


After the way the review has "crashed and burned", I am almost tempted to write a review of the film myself. Should I write it? If there are enough interested people, then write I shall, so do tell me... (The rediff review is much better, though still does not fulfill my expectations).



Also, I believe that in such case (films based on the books), the reviews of the film should fill in the gaps in the film by mentioning the details from the book (or saying that film does not include...). What do you think?



Find a (admittedly incomplete) review of the first two books of "Inheritance Trilogy" here.





16 comments:

silverine said...

Happy Budday to you!
Happy Budday to you!
Happy Budday dear Fleiger!
Happy Budday to you!

*clap* *clap*

:D

Amey said...

@Silverine: Thankss...

As you can see, the day didn't start that well, but now it will be way better :D Have a cake...

Keshi said...

OMG twas ur bday? HAPPY BDAY Fleiger huggggggggggggggggggz!


How did u celebrate it?

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Keshi: Thanku, thanku :D
No celebrations, though I did cut a delicious vanilla pudding cake.

Neihal said...

Belated :(

Happy Budday.

I could have wished a day earlier if blogger had not played its stupid joke. :(

I saw Eragon. Have not read the book yet. The movie does remind of LOTR, and that is the trouble. But baby Saphira was adorable, obviously not as adorable as Lizzy :P.

Neihal said...

Fleiger do belated wishers get the cake? :)

Amey said...

@Neihal: Thanku, thanku... All wishes get a cake, though the original is not just a memory in heads ;)
What joke did Blogger play?
Do read Eragon and Eldest. They are nice, albeit mixed versions of lots of fantasy tales till date.
Did you like the movie?

Neihal said...

I like the fantasy genre anyways :D

I did not like the movie much. But then I am the kind whose fav shows include Gennie, Bewitched, Sabrina, Buffy...and books Harry potter, LOTR.

So I easily sat through the movie. But as you say, the book is a good one, then they could have made a better movie. It seems like a made in real hurry.

Neihal said...

see this is exactly why I dont review.

Try telling me on the basis of what I just wrote, try telling me if you think the movie is good or bad. :P

Fleiger said...

@Neihal: Try and expand... I would like to read your review of the movie (and believe me, it will be better than the Indiatimes one I linked)

that girl in pink said...

i don't know if indiatimes and times of india reviews are the same but frankly i would distrust anything that comes from that group.
based on a TOI review i made the BIG mistake of watching "perfect stranger". still groaning...

Amey said...

@TGIP: Dunno that, this review was on Indiatimes site, and hopefully wasn't in the publication...
I too have heard some good reviews about "Perfect Stranger", but seems I should stay away from it. And I agree with your sentiment ;)

Crystal Blur said...

>>Also, I believe that in such case (films based on the books), the reviews of the film should fill in the gaps in the film by mentioning the details from the book (or saying that film does not include...). What do you think?

I think the onus of filling in the blanks should be on the movie makers and not the film reviewers. That's what they pay the screenplay writers for. The movie should be able to stand on its own.

Hippo birdie 2 ewe!

Amey said...

@Crystal: Actually, that statement was a bit over-reaction to the review, so I agree with you, mostly.

But when I see the movies, it comes out that to fill such blanks (especially for large books), the screenwriters have to either cut away the important plot points, or have to change the story quite significantly.

e.g. If I remember correctly, Prisoner of Azkaban (and later Goblet of Fire) movies never ever mentioned anything about Wormtail's debt of life, which plays a significant role in book 7. I am waiting to see how they fill that gap.
Ditto for Sirius' mirror in OOtP...

Crystal Blur said...

fleiger,
Yup! HP movies also sacrifice a lot of material in interest of time. Talking about book adapted movies, I haven't read Tolkien either but I thoroughly enjoyed the movies nevertheless.

Amey said...

@Crystal: Well, you don't need to read a book to enjoy New Zealand locales or superb battle scenes...

And I have been meaning to ask you this for some time now, you call yourself a geek and haven't read Tolkien or haven't seen Star Wars?