Monday, April 02, 2007

Fount of Knowledge Part IV

When I posted the chapter excerpt for "Fleiger and The Art of Computer Maintenance" last week, Sid and Iyersir replied with suggestions to include some more keys (which I had thought of being specific to software engineers, and not for general public). When I thought about it, I realised that even general bloggers and forum-dwellers have to be educated about those keys. So, here's the addition to the chapter:


  1. Ctrl key: (Normally used with "a", "c" and "v" keys) Two such keys are placed on either side of your keyboard. This probably explains why these shortcut keys are used so extensively by every software engineer. You can also use them in your blogs and forums to "quote" somebody or reply to selective parts of the comments you get. Of course, like all good things (except maybe chocolates, books and one or two such things) too much use can result in bad results.
    Let's again take the example of public speaking, shall we? (The proper answer to this is "yes sir" or "do let's") If you stand on the podium on 15th Aug, and start quoting parts from the "Freedom at Midnight" or "Gettysburg", people will applaud. But if you start giving the entire speech, you will be heckled unless it is a competition to memorise famous speeches.

  2. Del key: (and backspace) As the name suggests, this is used to delete the (type-)written word. Again, excess use will result in an empty post, but judicious use is useful for correcting your grammar, spelling and improve/change the posts you have already written if you change your mind about something. There is also one more important use I want to tell you about. You can use this key as a "counting to 10" key. Say you want to write something inflammatory, spam somebody or shoot a hate mail to somebody. Write it, so that the hate is out of your system, then instead of hitting Send, hit this key (or backspace, based on position) and delete the entire thing. You know, no hate, no regret. Peace rules...

  3. Alt key: Again, this key (normally) exists in duplicates. Used with "F4", this key is your friend in need. Say your boss walks in on you while you are writing/reading a blog, or doing something you are not supposed to do on your machine. Hit this combo, and all is well. You are very angry about something somebody has written, and the "Del" key is not enough to drain your anger. Hit it, and the offending material is out of your sight. All in all, friend indeed...

  4. Of course, any discussion on keys is never complete without the Grand Universal Combination, "Ctrl-Alt-Del". Like "Alt-F4", this is your friend in need. But while "Alt-F4" is at best a bunker-buster, this combination is known as "The H-Bomb" of all combinations. But of course, desperate times (you boss/wife/gf walks in while you are "stuck" on an unwanted website, or maybe just closing the window is not enough to fully purge your rightful wrath) call for desperate key-strokes...

Again, as I said before, all these keys are your friends. But just as you like your friends to take bath everyday, keeping your keys from getting stuck is necessary, if you want people to like you (and after all, why else are you on the web?). Remember that "too much of anything is bad" and "cleanliness is necessary for politeness" (or something like that).

And don't take my advise too literally. Your computer will not like to take a "bath" in water, or any fluid for that matter.


Have I missed anything? Want me to include/change anything? Leave a comment and I will consider...

9 comments:

Neihal said...

there is right now what I think is a bread crumb stuck under my space bar.... I am worried a little.
so if you see mycommentlikethis ,not my fault :P

SiD said...

great.. so the Ctrl is here:)

a few weeks back i was asked in a Quiz - What is 3 a finger exrcise.
The answer is relevant here.. it is Ctrl+ Alt + Del..

Alt+F4 - I prefer Alt+ Space + C - all keys are clubbed together.. much faster!! :)

SiD said...

And ya the posts are looking fine now with more space between them..

Amey said...

@Neihal: Remember what Fleiger says, "Those who keep their keyboards clean, keep worries away". (Fleiger has yet to get enough experience to sound like Confusious)
Laptop or Computer keyboard? Laptops are a pain to clean...

@Sid: Yes, that combo has a lot of names (though I guess GUC is my invention) ;) And you get more "efficient" as you get experienced I guess ;)
Thanks for the tip. Please to send any more critisisms/suggestions/improvements.

Neihal said...

hahahaha

oh, laptop :(
I dare not do much :(

SiD said...

OK.. so next time I am asked in a quiz abt GUC - i should know the Answer ;)

And when I read ur previous post on keys, I also tried to clean my lappie keypad.. the top gets cleaned easily but it irks when u see that dirt lying under the keys and ur cleaning tool doesn't reach there effectively!!

Amey said...

@Neihal and Sid:
Oh my... Fleiger says, "Laptop keyboards are pain to clean"n [Still not enough practise :(]

@Sid: It reminds me of the time when the bag of curry he was carrying in his bag split... in the bag carrying his laptop. Much cleaning ensued ;)

Keshi said...

I do that sometimes...I wanted to blast someone last week so I wrote a letter to her and then after reading it I hit backspace and deleted it all...felt AWESOME lol!

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Keshi: Right... That's the way to go... No hate, no regret ;)
Follow everything I said, and you will be peaceful.