Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Kissa KCricket Ka Part I

Sorry for that Karan KJoharsque mistake (can't call myself KEkta Kapoor, can I?)



While thinking about and writing the Summer tag (thanks Silverine), I realised that there were many reasons we played cricket. Who says we can only "enjoy" watching cricket? Playing it not just fun, but "fun".



Now, all who have played cricket on a big ground with a small group knows the value of "borrowed" fielder. Normally placed as wicket-keeper (mostly to retrieve wides), if the ground is big enough or team size is small enough, this member can be placed in more prominent positions.



Once, finding ourselves in such a position, we borrowed the best fielder from opposing team (their captain) and placed him somewhere between square-leg and mid-wicket. And within the first two balls, the ball was tracing a aerial trajectory with the speed of a particularly lazy snail towards him.





Now, the "borrowed" man always faces a dilemma. If you have some moral sense, you try particularly hard not to get called a cheater, and try to catch/field even the impossible balls, even though it goes against your "team spirit" (which is why you tell your team mates not to hit the ball in your direction). But moral or not, it is impossible to drop a ball which you can catch without moving a step. Score: 1/1.



I seriously think watching your team-mate field near your gives you a sense that this is a net practise, not a match. Because within next two overs, all 4 of the batsmen had almost literally dropped what we called "lollies" in their captain's lap. Score 10/4.



Cursing his luck (and his team-mates), the captain took the strike, and I replaced him from my favourite point position. I think you must have guessed by now what happened next?



Within next 3 deliveries, the ball was again traversing the now-familiar trajectory towards my waiting hands. Talk about "team spirit".



P.S. This marks century of posts on "Talons"...



Technorati Tags: ,

8 comments:

SiD said...

You have described the exact.. absolute exact scenario I have faced... I was the best fielder(i m quite immodest abt that) and was generally 'picked' when there was 'both side fielding'.
But I don't face the dilemma.
When I see a cricket ball hit by a batsman and in air near me.. i forget what team I am playing. Something inside just pulls me to catch it.. Once it happened that i was precisely there - between mid wkt and sq leg... the ball(not a lollie) came and I dived to catch it.. Well, the rest of the story you have already pictured out in the blog.. Though I got a Cold Drink from the winning team.. :)

SiD said...

Oh and Btw COngrats for the century...
No celebrations for a century??
raising bat and all!! ;)

Cuckoo said...

Congrats !! Century here as well ??

On both the grounds ??

Amey said...

@Sid: Well, that's what I call "moral dilemma". What happened to your team spirit?
I guess that was one of the first teams in the world caught in the same position, and almost virtually by their own captain ;)

@Cuckoo: "here as well"? Didn't get that...

SiD said...

Actually 'both side fielding' happens in small matches only.. where generally all are friends and Good Cricket holds the priority in such situations..
In big matches where the real team spirit comes - when u get associated with a identity - may be Mechie vs Comp Sc... or 4th year vs 3rd year.. or Sector 8 vs Sector 9... there the team spirit comes forth but in such matches the 'both side fielding' concept goes for a toss.. think of it.. a Mechie having faith in Comp Sci guys (arch rivals) to field for them - IMPOSSSSSIBLE.. we better play with half our team...

Amey said...

@Sid: You take cricket too seriously... For us, it was mainly a sport to enjoy. And failing that, we have some friends who would do "anything" to win ;)
Read the rest of the series, and then you will understand.

SiD said...

The only place where I don't take it that seriously is my house porch..well.. sometimes ;)

Amey said...

@Sid: Told ya... and look where that landed you ;)