Thursday, October 26, 2006

Something To Make You Think...

Biology labs are really interesting... and I am not talking about putting some hot seniors in a room, with covered windows, and switching off the lights. Well, we were testing the rate of photosynthesis, you know (you dirty minds, what did you think)...

Anyways, something our TA said brings me to the second in line in my attempt to post on some serious, hard-hitting questions which are puzzling the greatest minds in the universe (to wit, mine)...

Why do we say, "first things first"? I mean, it goes without saying that first things will be, err... first by definitions. Or else, we would have called them second things or third things or so on.

And while we are on the subject, why do we say "it goes without saying"? Haven't we "said" it already, thus making it self-contradictory?

I tell you, this English language is...



OK, if you think I am being weird, try getting exactly 1:00:00 on the 1/100th second stopwatch... Now try getting it twice in a row, and tell me how you feel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

first things first prolly means there are two queues and you pick the first from the first queue and put it in the first place in the second queue...

all these angrez people buying train tickets by having more than one representative in every queue may have come up with this...

okay enuff pakaoing :P

Amey said...

@Iyer sir: Sometimes I want to take a menhir from Obelix and say, "These english are crazy" ;)

Cuckoo said...

Lol!! What post! You've become nutsss!!

Oooops.. where do I hide now?

Amey said...

@Cuckoo: I am so happy you left "finally" out of that sentence... Anyways, I told you, I am not nuts yet. These are valid, serious questions... and hiding from them doesn't make them any less serious ;)

SiD said...

now u say that.. i realize - i have never seen 1:00:00 on a stop watch...

is it designed so?? cant be right!!! :)

ketki said...

yeah
that 1;00:00 stop watch thing must really be difficult
never tried it though

Amey said...

@Nikichan: So you also think I have gone ...???

@Sid: That needs extreme concentration, perfect hand-eye co-ordination (and if all fails, enough trials) And as I said, I achieved it twice. Once is co-incidence, twice is...

@Ketki: Same as Sid... Welcome, I am trying to comment on your blog, but some server problem gets in the way :(