Sunday, October 15, 2006

News?

Main Entry: news
Pronunciation:
'nüz, 'nyüz
Function: noun plural but singular in construction
Usage: often attributive
1 a : a report of recent events b : previously unknown information (I've got news for you) c : something having a specified influence or effect (the rain was good news for lawns and gardens -- Garrison Keillor) (the virus was bad news)
2 a : material reported in a newspaper or news periodical or on a newscast b : matter that is newsworthy


So, when I read that "APJ Abdul Kalam, the country's top missile guru who rose to become President, was caned for being a naughty boy in school" as a news on ToI "News" page, my first thought was he visited some school, and was caught spraying ink on a teacher's back. Those were the days when we... oh, back to the point...

My second thought was that, this was definitely 1b and 2a, maybe a bit of 1c (it was a funny news for me), but definitely not 1a and 2b in Merriam Webster's definition of the word "news", as given above.

Now that we are on ToI, let's move to "Movies" page. There, you will find a piece called, "Upen is Akshay Kumar" Don't ask who is Upen, as that is beside the point here. The first line of the article reads, "No, Akshay Kumar is not going around impersonating a younger Upen Patel." Doesn't that sound a bit (completely) opposite to what the headline would suggest?

And then, let's go over to Rediff... which reports the PM, "We'll test Pakistan after giving terror evidence: PM" Nothing wrong at all in that, but am I the only one here who has visions of Pakistan (in guise of Gen. Musharraf) standing as a nervous, sweating schoolboy in front of our PM (who is wearing the typical school teacher dress, cane in hand) asking him to recite, err... evidence (or something like that) or he will give him a fatal beating?

11 comments:

Keshi said...

Politics is all abt controlling other countries - in teacher-student manner.

Keshi.

Cuckoo said...

Just one simple question... Why do you read news? :P

I know when far from one's country, that is the only source of free entertainment :P .. But stil...

I am missing one emoticon here :(

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

i liked the 13th friday article :))))))))) was the result a disaster ?

this post is good too .. esp the upen - akshay and the pakistan bit ~

Cuckoo said...

Saw that fatal beating at last!! Funny.... like you ??? ;)

Amey said...

@Keshi: Nice quote... did you also get visions of naughty school boys getting "disciplined", or was it just effect on me of the first news? ;)

@Cuckoo: YOu are bold... ;)
Anyways, my reading news has nothing to do with being away from country. I used to see the headlines when I was in India too. I will read news only if I feel it is interesting, based on headline or area in question.
Which emoticon? "Puzzled" one?

@Deepa: Well, let's just say the effect was felt by almost all...
The Upen(can somebody tell me who is this guy?)-Akshay bit was an eye-opener literally ;)
And Pakistan? There was nothing wrong with the news really, just that the first news still carried some images in my head, if you get what I mean...

@Cuckoo: Now you are not bold anymore ;)
I am like Rowan Atkinson, Thank You... you deserve a party for saying that. Maybe your belief will be confirmed after watching "The Warm Welcome" bit ;)

SiD said...

@cuckoo: why do u read news?? strange ques that one..
u don't????
I feel smthing amiss the whole day if I havent seen a newspaper in the morning..

@fleiger: Upen Patel is a 'new kid on the block' - he was in the movie - 36 china town..
a model - chiselled face, 6 packs and the stuff..
the headline was indeed seems opposite... and dont know how they can say akshay imitating upen who has hardly done a movie..a

Cuckoo said...

Fleiger & SID,
I read newspaper DAILY and without it my day is not complete. When I am abroad, the online news give me company.
It was a simple question (with a :P) to Fleiger b'coz he always gets some confusion (entertainment) out of those news.
Fleiger,
LOL@Bold ;) Could you make out some more changes?

Keshi said...

hehe na I get that vision too, all the time as I read news :)

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Sid: Great... And according to news, he is not Akshay kumar, and Akshay Kumar is not imitating him. What a relief ;)

@Cuckoo: Yes, when I don't get any entertainment otherwise, I turn to newsportals. They haven't failed to provide me with something funny yet.

@Keshi: All the time? Hmm...

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Upen Patel - The guy who is supposedly real handsome ( I dont think so ). HE comes in some Provogue Shirts' ads ... he has acted in 36 China Town

Amey said...

@Deepa: 26 China town? Oh god...