Sunday, December 03, 2006

Alloo News?

Many people have recommended The Onion for good entertainment. After reading one or two news there, I agree. I am waiting for somebody to start a similar website for Indian news (though I think "Alloo News" might score above "Pyaaj News" for the name), or at least I was till recently.

But reading some recent news, I think we don't need false news for entertainment, we have the normal news which are more than adequate for that. While we have school boards which are thinking of making students hug each other to reduce stress (and I still think they are just a step away from educational miracles), on the other hand toddlers are being accused of rape of a 20-year old woman. We still have cases in courts against Orkut for allowing some "I hate..." communities (I seriously think this is better way than dragging Orkut in court).

And if that is not enough, now we have cases being filed in courts against actors for kiss they share in a movie. What I do not understand that why the suit against actors, when it's the director (and writer) who decide what they do. And furthermore, I can understand why some people might think a kiss is obscene, but how it is "intended to insult the modesty of a woman" (article 509 of Indian Penal Code)?

And before you ask, yes, apperently B family is supposed to have had words with their future daughter-in-law for locking lips with some third person.

I am worried now. I am asking my lawyer friend if I have committed a crime under any of these articles by suggesting my "educational miracle policy".



P.S. Any more suggestions for the Indian Onion?

6 comments:

Keshi said...

**on the other hand toddlers are being accused of rape of a 20-year old woman

wut kinda rubbish is that? LOL!

Keshi.

SiD said...

hadh ho gayi...
If they objected to Dhoom2 kiss than may be they didn't see Murder or Zehar - infact any of emraan hashmi movies...
cant imagine people are so vela...

Cuckoo said...

Don't break your head. This is India.
I think you should stop worrying about the news, just enjoy them and then maybe you can break your head if you want to :P

Yeah, Sid is right. No one complained about Hashmi movies & what abt Rakhi Sawant's so "entertaining" dances??

They won't object to father-in-law raping his daughter-in-law but waste time in making so useless news.

abhishek said...

The Onion would be superfluous in India. Real news is stranger than fiction anyways.

Having said that, there's a lot of good, banal news that goes unreported just because it's deemed unexciting.

Amey said...

@Keshi: I am just not able to think of any kind of logic which can be used to support that claim.

@Sid: And to think of it, the kiss is about 1 second in duration. I guess Emraan Hashmi might have to blow his entire income just to appear in all cases.

@Cuckoo: I enjoy the news, why do you think I read them? I can break my head if I want? Thanks...
Rakhi Sawant had a case against her, don't know what happened to it. And you forgot Mallika Sherawat.

@Abhishek: I guess Indian Onion can put some masala in those news and report them ;)

Keshi said...

haha!

Keshi.