Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Bollywood Bites XI

a.k.a. Why "Partner"?





If you head over to Adlergedanke, the "This Week in History" column lists a not-exactly-a-review of the movie "Hitch" for this week in 2005. So, I was not a bit surprised to see that David Dhawan is "inspired" by the Will Smith-starrer I liked.





Now, I have got nothing against inspiration, unless it is shoddy and is used as a substitute for original thought. What I mean to say is that, if there are enough "original" moments in "inspired" movies to mark them as good ones, I will watch them (e.g. "Awara Pagal Deewana" is not so bad). But, I do have some questions/comments about the movie:



  • Given the story lines of the movie, why would Indiatimes put a "question mark" at the end of title? Is this another in the growing cases of abuse of the "question mark"? (For those wondering what I mean, google for "Jon Stewart comments on question mark" and watch the video)


  • The jury is still out on what will be more entertaining: Watching Govinda give "date advise" to his clients or watching him try and do the "pizza dance" as an rank rookie.


  • Which is why I think they must have gone for matching sizes while casting.


  • However I hate people lifting scenes directly out of Hollywood originals, I fervently hope they retain "Pizza dance", or at least make it into something similar. ("Paratha dance" anyone?)


  • At the same time, I am prettty sure even David Dhawan is not brave enough to retain the famous "kissing training scene".


  • Or is that why the film is named "Partner"? Do they mean "that" partner? Now, that would be an original twist in the tale...






Whatever happens, I am ready to reserve my judgement till I see the movie, given the original and the people involved in the "inpired" desi version.





Technorati Tags: , , ,

11 comments:

Keshi said...

Bollywood is fading away in my memory now...I find most of the Bollywood movie too rosy now. Im watching low-budget movies n they r so much more realistic.

How have u been?

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Keshi: Low budget movies? Like this one here?

Neihal said...

the 'inspiring world' and the after effects.

that would be hollywood and bollywood.

Anonymous said...

Emraan Hashmi?? thanks freiger-chan!!
looks like an interesting movie :)
japanese media is same. they like adding question mark. haha!

Amey said...

@Neihal: I would have gone for "inspiration gone amok", but that is also proper way to describe it ;)


-----------------------------------
@Nikichan: This movie stars Govinda and Salman Khan... Have you seen any movies by Govinda btw?

Anonymous said...

no i have not(^o^);;;
he looks cool tho, i like salmanchan. haha...

SiD said...

LOL @ low budget movie ;)

The inspirations continue...other day i was watching a trailer of a movie and by the look of that itself I could make out that the movie is 'inspired' from the movie Cellular.
with the regular dance and song and romantic angles thrown in....
nothing new... these will continue to happen and you will have lots of bites to write :)

Amey said...

@Nikichan: Govinda is one of the good comedians in Bollywood, though many of his movies include double-entrande and such.

-----------------------------------
@Sid: Did you read the post? It is genius... and so is the movie.
As I said, I am not averse to inspired movies as long as they take ideas, and not copy-paste the entire thing. But then, Jab tak rahega Bollywood, tab tak rahega "Bollywood Bites" ;)

Anonymous said...

ewww comedian??
oh i was thinking abt Ajay Degvan or somethins..
indian names are sooo difficult lol
thank u soooo much!!!!
hugzzzzz

Keshi said...

lol I havent seen that one yet...but I did see WATER, MIXED DOUBLES, MR n MRS IYER...they r great movies :)

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Nikichan: Comedians are not so bad nikichan. There are some very good comedians in Hindi (Paresh Rawal being one).

----------------------------------
@Keshi: Haven't seen Mixed Doubles, but have heard about it. If you want more, do check out "Khosla Ka Ghosla", "Being Cyrus". More suggestions to follow.