Saturday, May 26, 2007

Newsblast #7

a.k.a. It's "H-allows", not "G-allows" (to be said in your best "Philosopher's Stone" Hermione accent)


First things first, it is only the mild manners of Harry Potter fans which has saved ToI columnist Indira Rodericks from any Crucio's and even Avada Kedavra's coming her way. Otherwise, I cannot think of any fitting punishment for mentioning (twice, not once, but twice) the name of HP7 as "Deathly Gallows" in the same article.

Also, regarding the news item, let me let you in on a secret regarding the "pirated script".


I have seen three or four different versions of so-called "Deathly Hallows" ebooks. Except one, even a person who hasn't heard of a person called JKR (i.e. a modern-day Robinson Crusoe, or a person who has just stepped off the spaceship from the other end of universe) can tell that these so-called "pirated books" cannot possible be written by the great author.

The only version which may confuse non-fans at the start is written as a fan-fic, actually called "Seventh Horcrux", and the author of that book is trying her best to instruct people about the fact (more power to her). So, if somebody sends you a link to a ebook called "Deathly Hallows" which sounds like written by JKR but has some *ahem* teen themes in it, remember it is called "Seventh Horcrux".

And if somebody sends you a link to a book called "Deathly Gallows", just delete it without even opening the mail, even if it is sent to you by your alter-ego, because how can the person who cannot get the name correct, get his hands on the actual book?

And I think this will be a best place to tell people about my policy for spoiler-"pirated early version" etc. kind of mails.

  • First, anybody sending me a early version with a misplaced sense of anything: I might take a look at the book, and even enjoy it if it is good. But if it really turns out to be The Book later on, it will be taken as spoiler (read next point for spoiler), because though impatient to get my hands on the book, I am perfectly content to stay put till the official release date.

  • Anybody sending me unofficial spoilers (i.e. those not given out by JKR or publishers) should better get himself a berth on the Black Pearl, as the "end of the world" will possibly be only semi-safe place for him/her (and I am not guaranteeing that he will be safe there either).


So there...

Once again folks, it is "Hallows", not "Gallows" (think Kannad if you are confused)... and I haven't seen any ebook which can touch the inimitable style of JKR yet (and won't tell you even if I find it before The DH-Day).


Technorati Tags: ,

5 comments:

Neihal said...

all that for being "the leading english paper" and blah blah!!

I will wait as well, for the book till its official release date. And then once I lay my hand on it, nothing doing till I finish it. Ah waiting!!!!

Amey said...

@Neihal: My sentiments exactly :)

I don't mind them saying that the books is already out (for all I know, it is possible though highly improbable). I don't mind educating people about that ;)

What I cannot stand is them getting the name wrong. I mean, as one of my favourite bloggers said, the poster is out in every single bookshop window...

Keshi said...

:):)

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

:):):)

Anonymous said...

:):):):)