Monday, August 28, 2006

What Next?

"Tom and Jerry" is violent, and so it is now being rewritten to show that Tom and Jerry are friends, solving mysteries together. They are also cutting out the blackened faces after explosions. I think Tom and Jerry will be sitting in their sitting room (a la Poirot and Hastings?), without smoking, discussing their cases, rather than chasing after one another. My laughter just died.

Enid Blyton is racist and sexist. So, the books are now rewritten with the names considered sexist (By children? Really?) changed to more neutral ones. And I thought Enid Blyton was about reading about a bunch of kids like you fighting crime and solving mysteries, being patriotic, brave and loyal to friends. A part of me which likes to read kids' books just took last breath.

A psychologist in US says, characters like Hermione Granger in Harry Potter books are making girls more violent. So, a girl who endures sneers from her batch mates just because of her parentage for six years, and explodes only once (to punch the boy, when she can do much more damage easily) in those 6 years, is a "role model" for girls who join gangs and kill people? My belief in psychology has just been declared DOA.

Nursery rhymes are being re-evaluated. So, Humpty Dumpty does not break (or in another version is put back together), and a rainbow sheep says "ba ba" now. I know nursery rhymes are somewhat traumatic, but still...


So, what next are we looking at? Children's' books like this? I would trade a Famous Five story for this any time... and the only way a Harry Potter book would make me violent is when somebody keeps it away from me when I want to read it.

I don't know about you people, but I am going to risk my child being brought up sexist, racist and any other ist, but I want him to read Secret Seven, Famous Five, watch Tom and Jerry, have fun with nursery rhymes and fairy tales, and most of all learn about some values like friendship, loyalty and many more from Harry Potter.

After all, when Dumbledore says "It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.", I may be wrong but I think he is not telling us that violence is the way to go.

8 comments:

Keshi said...

Brilliant post! I loved every word u said here. Cos u know what..I used to read Famous Five, Secret Seven, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew...watch Tom N Jerry...sing Humpty Dumpty, Ba Ba Black Sheep etc etc and no Im not a criminal today. In fact I have good n healthy conscience and u could say I never really punched anyone in my life..or made anyone wear and eye-patch lol!


**so it is now being rewritten to show that Tom and Jerry are friends, solving mysteries together.

haha that sounds so gay...very unlikely of Tom n Jerry.

And even some schools in Brisbane r changing nursery rhymes cos some of em r apparently racist. WTH! Ba ba rainbow sheep...? It doesnt even rhyme!

What's next? Kill kindy/school altogether so kids don't fight? And perhaps everyone travel naked on board cos we r afraid of terrorists and hidden weapons? This world is a joke these days.


Keshi.

Amey said...

@Keshi: I am just imagining an episode of "new and improved(?)" Tom and Jerry... I can't laugh :(

I agree about some nursery rhymes being racist or sexist given today's context, but will kindergarteners really know that?

And making anyone wear eyepatch (if you haven't read Harry Potter), that is The Most levelheaded student character in all the books.

Keshi said...

I still dont think any nursery rhyme is racist. Which ones d u mean?

Keshi.

Keshi said...

Hugggggz Niki :)

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Nikichan: I like Hermione Granger, she is one of my crushes, actually. Do you really think that you want to hit someone after reading Harry Potter?
And Jerry, yes cute... and sometimes so very naughty.

@Keshi: Had a coffee, huh?
Anyways, it seems "ba ba black sheep" is supposedly racist. Can you imagine that?

Keshi said...

no I dont think it is. Just few racists seem to think so. :)

Keshi.

Amey said...

@Keshi: Some racists and some extra-sensitive souls. It happens everywhere, first you have oppression and then everybody gets sensitive to the issue.

Keshi said...

yep thats so right.

Keshi.