Sunday, August 13, 2006

Book(?)...err Scale

We felt a dire need of ranking books read by us. As most of these books lie in either bestseller or unheard of categories, the rankings you can get from the different lists is not reliable. (I mean, how can you differentiate between "Angels and Demons" and "A Song of Ice and Fire" given that both enjoy bestseller status with 4 to 5 stars each?)

So, the idea of creating our own book scale was brought to the table, seconded and agreed upon. After a lot of research, the select committee of a writer (me), an ex-chief editor of a magazine (again me) a reader (yes, me) and a book critique(got it?) decided on a scale of 1-10, calling it Book(?)...err Scale. (The sarcastic reference due to the unique critical sense of humour.) The actual count on the scale is decided by a complex formula which essentially calculates whether the book in question can be called a book at all (in layman's terms).

So, 1 on the Book(?)...err scale would be a book you can't put down (think of "Great Indian Novel"), and 10, by extension refers to a book(?) which you cannot put down, but need to throw down hard. (Tough competition between "A Song..." and "Executive Orders"). The inverted scale is again thanks to unique critical style.

Music lovers might think of the scale as going from Asha/Lata's songs (1), through the voices of Shaan, Lucky Ali (insert your favourites here), all the way down to Himmesh with a sore throat (10).

A rough guide to the BES:


  • 0-1.5: Books you would take to Desert island, moon, Andromeda etc. etc.

  • 1.5-3.0: Books you would take to Desert island, just that you would use them to light the fire in extreme conditions (even though it might break your heart)

  • 3.0-5.0: Books you wouldn't mind picking up again in case there is nothing new

  • 5.0-6.0: Neutral zone, Read them once, forget them if you want

  • 6.0-7.5: Mildly irritating. Finish them just to see if they improve (or just to get every penny worth of reading)

  • 7.5-10.0: Books you will take to desert island, because it's not easy to find wood on the island, and they would normally be easier to carry than wood anyways...


There are further plans to award the highest ranking (nearest to 10) book in the year "Book(?)...err Prize". The current books in the competition are (in alphabetical order):


The committee would further like to take this opportunity in calling for candidates to serve on the committee from the fellow readers. The qualifications needed are that the person should be capable of reading and willing to read books.

Also, any other nominations for the "Book(?)...err Prize" are also welcome, preferably along with a short/long review.

13 comments:

Cuckoo said...

Ha Ha.. You have a very active and talented committee out there!

Very funny way of describing things.. which you cannot put down, but need to throw down hard.. But could you read those books or had to throw down after a few pages?

I guess, I have to spend hours & hours reading your blog. Thanks for giving such small links like this..I can at least read them w/o thinking a bit.

Amey said...

@Cuckoo: Thanks... but the committee is also looking for new members and new suggestions for reviews...

And the quote is not mine, I put it on the post where I reviewed almost all bad books like Executive Orders and all... As I said, there are some books even we in the committee cannot finish.

And this is not for reading without thinking, next time you want to tell us about a book, try and use the Scale... we are trying to promote the use of it, so that nobody has to rely on the old bland 5 star scale.

Cuckoo said...

By reading w/o thinking I meant, I don't have to look for a post where to start from, as I have not read even half of your posts back(b)log prior to my entry in blogworld.

Well, reviewing a book is very difficult task but at the same time your scale is definitely better than 5 star. :)

Amey said...

Oh ok, that way. Well, I have found linking to my older posts a sure way to get people read it, and increase my rank in the blog-directories too ;)

This scale was invented so that we can give vent to our emotions... yet to perfect that though. Planning to give exact meaning to each point between 0-10 some time, which would make the task of popularizing the scale easier...

Cuckoo said...

Heyy, I want to use your scale sometime. Can I? Don't worry about credit. You'll get plenty from me :))

And please give that exact meaning to each point between 0-10. It'll be easier for me too!! (of course if you permit me to use your scale).

Btw, What's blog-directories?? Got to learn many things from you about this blog world.

Urvashi said...

The "Book(?)...err scale" is quite an original idea! ;)
I would like to nominate "The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason for the "Book(?)...err Prize". It is the most frustrating book that I have ever read!!!!

Amey said...

@Cuckoo: No problems... You can expand the scale if you wish and tell me.

@Phoenix: Just nominations don't work madam, you have to write a review too (Kill the book if you wish in the review).
In fact, I cannot write the review like you would like, since I quite liked the book myself. But then, I am a fan of the genre, so...
That's why I am asking you to write the review, and you can use the scale if you wish. Expand and give proper descriptions to each point if you like...

Princess Stefania said...

Rats! My comment seems to have disappeared.
Well, me! Me, me, me!
I nominate myself for the committee.

Amey said...

@Your Highness: Oops... Bad Blogger...

Anyways, welcome to the committee... (Formal announcement soon).

Of course, we would like you to use BES (in some format) in your reviews. This is not to increase links to my blog/this post, but if to get more feedback from different people, which will help me hone the scale. :D

Neihal said...

very Interesting indeed Fleiger.

And it makes sense too. :P

Amey said...

@Neihal: Thank you... Any suggestions? And if you like books (which I am sure you do) you are welcome to join the committee too.

Anonymous said...

Well, i thought that George R R Martin's series is probably the BEST fantasy series I've EVER read. And its not just me. Check out http://www.iblist.com/list_by_rating.php?type=book

And he has been recognised as a genius by his fellow writers like Dan Simmons, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett...

Amey said...

@Kanjisheik: As I said, most books I read belong in bestseller or obscure category. (And I know where "Song..." belongs)

It is a nice read, but personally I think Martin must have something against the readers. I mean, as I said in my full review, every time you start to like, nay, even tolerate a character, he is bumped off (or worse) in the brutalest manner possible. It does put you off after sometime, since you cannot afford to emotionally get involved in a single character out of fear for him/her.