Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cue the hate comments...

First off, let me say that every Indian should celebrate Abhinav Bindra's gold medal and pat himself on back as much as we do every time Sachin breaks a record. After all, we had equal contribution in both.

And Chintoo sums up my feelings* nicely (as he has been doing for years).

But till someone explains to me what Abhinav Bindra's connection to Maharashtra is, I maintain that ET filed this news correctly under "Politics" section, and not under "Sports".

Let the comments calling me an unpatriotic regionalist begin...

Update: Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Coroprations join the bandwagon with Rs. 10 lakh and 5 lakh respectively. (sorry, links in marathi). Am I missing his Puneri connection? Somebody please educate me about this.



*Translation of the comic for those who don't know marathi:
Chintoo: I have decided which sport should I make my career in. I want to be like Abhinav Bindra. Of course, it will be confusing if India wins more medals. But I will like to be confused like this.

4 comments:

Cynic in Wonderland said...

..and to add to your last line.. rifles are being sold by the dozen.

as I write this, there is bindras homecoming news happening on TV. his mother is being asked "what did you cook for breakfast"
how is that relevant to ANYTHING i have no clue.

Amey said...

@Cynic: I can think of a scenario. The reporter was standing outside the airport and Bindra's house for a long time. "So what did you cook for breakfast? Hot paratha? Do you have lassi? Ummm... We will be right back" ;)

SiD said...

No Hate comments bhai... i am with you..(i've written something on the same thing)..
and paranthaas and lassii.. yummy.. my mother too fed me this.. sad my father didn't gift me a shooting range (or for that matter a PCA Stadium) :D
and ya.. heard that pistol sale has increased 65% in punjab.. i am telling you.. giving guns(any kind of it) to kids in punjab is inviting trouble!!!

Amey said...

@Sid: I read a post on some blog saying that Maharashtra CM was "putting nation ahead of state" in announcing the prize (and no, there was no sarcasm involved), so I thought this would not be the most popular sentiment at the moment.

And I am sure most of those guns would be lying around gathering dirt come december and T20.

As for the parathas and lassi, that was the only scenario I could think of where breakfast menu was relevent to the news.